Our client, an independent 360 integrated advertising agency headquartered in Boston, is seeking a Business Affairs Manager. This person is part of a small, but growing team assigned to draft, review and negotiate a variety of agreements, as well as review Agency creative for potential legal or clearance issues, with a heavy emphasis on all aspects of production including film, video, digital, social, print, web, experiential, industrial, and out-of-home.
Responsibilities and Duties
- Review content throughout the development process (treatments, scripts, rough cuts) across all media for potential legal and network clearance issues and to assess third-party rights.
- Identify, manage, and communicate legal issues during the production process
- Negotiate, draft, review and administer a wide variety of agreements across all media platforms including production agreements, vendor agreements with production partners, intellectual property licenses, music contracts, and talent contracts including non-union talent, Influencers, and Content Creators
- Supervise the clearance and licensing of third-party content (i.e. talent, music, trademarks, film, user generated content, etc.) for inclusion in video, print and web related media
- Provide risk mitigation strategies to the Agency team during creative concepting and production.
- Work closely with client teams to assess and manage risk
- Manage a heavy volume of correspondence and contracts in a fast-paced, deadline-driven environment
- Liaise with legal counsel on the drafting of all contracts, and review of trademark, copyright and clearance matters
- Conduct preliminary trademark searches
- Maintain a library of executed contracts by client and project
- Set up a calendar and manage all usage, licensing, and rights renewals across talent, music, and stock.
- Prepare estimates for union and non-union talent session and use fees
- 3+ years of business affairs experience, preferably within advertising or media/entertainment
- Contracts experience and basic understanding of copyrights, trademarks and intellectual property
- Knowledge of SAG guidelines
- Knowledge of film/video/photo terminology, industry standards and practices
- Strong project management skills
- Strong negotiating skills
- Strong interpersonal skills, including the ability to work as a cooperative member of a team as well as interact with senior level executives and clients
- Bachelor’s degree