Our client, a premier designer and manufacturer of swimwear in North America, is seeking a Controller to oversee one of its divisions in the Farmingdale, NY headquarters.
The Controller is responsible to control the organization’s financial plans; this includes organizing, directing and controlling the accounting of the company and reporting of operational results. The Controller coordinates and administers budgets to plan for operations; with consideration to profit, sales forecasts, cost of goods, expense budgets, credit control, accounts receivable, accounts payable and departmental procedures. The controller then executes the plan through generally accepted account principles (GAAP). The controller will administer asset control by means of audits and appropriate insurance coverage. He/She will monitor credit and collection applications and approve credit terms with the assistance of credit bureaus and factor agencies.
Responsibilities of the controller includes executing cash disbursements for payment of corporate expenditures according to corporate policies, monitoring inventory levels and advising management regarding budget variances. The controller will report to the CFO and CEO any matters requiring their decisions, and perform any functions they request.
Accepts/assumes other special duties and responsibilities as required.
Position Responsibilities and Accountabilities:
- Develop budget and authorize all expenditures in line with the budget. Establish credit terms and monitor accounts receivable for collection of cash. Authorize payments of expenditures, overseeing bank balances, maintaining lines of credit, and sustaining bank relationships.
- Daily monitoring of accounts with credit limit concerns, releasing orders for allocation twice daily.
- Review our high maintenance accounts and call them for a payment.
- Review and monitor sales and inventory by using reports available.
- Cash Flow – forecast short range and long range cash requirements and obligations for maintaining sufficient funds. Report findings to CFO and CEO.
- Oversee banking requirements, including reconciliation, while maintaining banking relationships.
- Manage financial projections, operating statements and assist company departments with coordination of budget on a monthly basis. Interact with management on budget coordination and execute special projects for managers.
- Manage all duties and responsibilities of each job function under Controller’s supervision, including the Accounting Manager, Accounts Receivable and Accounts Payable so that they are performed effectively, and communication is open. Provide prompt feedback and effective coaching, mentoring and professional development to employees.
- Oversee International credit and Central Order System (COS) processing.
- Audits – Oversee and manage audits of the company. Two audits are performed each year in May and December, as required by our bank. One certified audit is performed for fiscal year-end (August – July) in September. One review for calendar year end is also done in February. Maintain relations with external auditors and investigate findings and recommendations.
- Develop financial and tax strategies to comply with local, state, and federal government reporting requirements and tax filings.
- Assure that qualified people are selected and that on the job training is conducted and is effective. Provide prompt and effective coaching to employees when needed.
- Create and maintain a documented system of accounting policies and procedures.
- Supervise client and vendor contract acquisitions and negotiations.
- Report risk issues to company; Recommend benchmarks against which to measure the performance of company operations.
- Please note this job description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the employee for this job. Duties, responsibilities and activities may change at any time with or without notice.
Qualifications and Competencies:
- Well-developed interpersonal skills. Ability to get along well with diverse personalities; tactful; mature; flexible.
- Ability to easily partner with the executive team.
- Excellent analytical and reasoning skills; able to recognize and support organization’s priorities.
- A high level of written and oral communication skills, able to establish credibility and be decisive.
- Maintain a high energy level; Results oriented with the ability to perform multifaceted projects in conjunction with normal activities.
- Ability to work under pressure in a demanding environment.
- Computer expertise that includes standard accounting programs and reporting tools.
Education and Experience:
- Degree in accounting or business administration. Ideally CPA certified.
- 5-10+ years of relevant experience that includes major retailers.