The Project Accountant will play a crucial role in ensuring accurate financial management and reporting for our clients projects. This role involves collaborating with project managers, engineers, and the finance team to monitor project costs, analyze financial data, and contribute to the overall financial health of the company. The Project Accountant will report to the Finance Manager and work closely with cross-functional teams to ensure adherence to budgets, financial controls, and project timelines.
- Collaborate with project managers to develop and maintain project budgets, forecasts, and financial plans.
- Monitor project costs, expenses, and revenue recognition, ensuring accuracy and alignment with project objectives.
- Review and process project-related invoices, subcontractor payments, and purchase orders, ensuring proper coding and approval.
- Conduct regular analysis of project financial data to identify trends, deviations, and areas for improvement.
- Prepare and present timely and accurate financial reports, including cost variance analysis and project performance reports, to project stakeholders and management.
- Work closely with the finance team to perform month-end and year-end closing activities, including reconciliations, accruals, and journal entries.
- Assist in preparing financial information for bids and proposals, ensuring accuracy and compliance with company policies and industry standards.
- Collaborate with external auditors during audits, providing necessary documentation and explanations related to project finances.
- Maintain a strong understanding of construction contracts, change orders, and other project-related documents to accurately reflect financial impacts.
- Identify and implement process improvements to enhance the efficiency and effectiveness of project accounting and financial reporting.
- Adhere to relevant regulatory requirements and accounting standards in the construction industry.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field. CPA designation is a plus.
- 1+ years of experience in project accounting within the construction industry.
- Proficiency in accounting software and ERP systems (e.g., QuickBooks, Sage 300, CMiC).
- Strong understanding of construction project lifecycles, including cost control, billing, and revenue recognition.
- Excellent analytical skills with a keen attention to detail and accuracy.
- Solid communication skills to interact effectively with both finance and non-finance teams.
- Ability to work independently, manage priorities, and meet deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Proficient in Microsoft Excel and other MS Office applications.
- Familiarity with industry-specific regulations, such as AIA billing and percentage of completion accounting.